TCN Strategies for Smoke-Free Air Policy Implementation
2009 Webinar 3:
Smokefree Laws & Gaming: Everything You Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 – 12 p.m. PST/3 p.m. EST
To listen to the call and see the slides, click here.
While over 50% of the US population is covered by comprehensive smoke-free laws, unfortunately, only a small number of states protect workers in the rapidly growing number of casino and other gaming environments. This webinar will provide valuable findings and implications from the recently released health hazard evaluation by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Based on testing conducted in three casinos on the Las Vegas “strip,” casino workers are being exposed to high levels of toxic secondhand smoke. The webinar also will provide lessons learned from the frontlines that are of interest to state and local tobacco control program managers, and advocacy partners.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the background and objectives of the NIOSH SHS evaluation in three Las Vegas casinos
- Identify the NIOSH study key evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations
- Recognize the current coverage and hot spots for smoke-free casino laws
- Understand the challenges and benefits of including smoke-free casinos, including the experiences on the Navajo Nation
- Christine West, RN, MSN, MPH
NIOSH Study author, Lieutenant Commander of the United States Public Health Service (USPHS)
- Annie Tegen, MPH
Senior Program Manager, Americans for Nonsmokers’ Rights
- Patricia Nez Henderson, MPH, MD
Vice President, Black Hills Center for American Indian Health
- Stephanie Steinberg
Chairperson, Smoke-free Gaming
This teleconference series is part of a Tobacco Control Network special project “TCN Strategies for Smoke-Free Air Policy Implementation” and is made possible through a Small Innovative Grant from the American Legacy Foundation.
Back to Archives 2008-2010