The Tobacco Control Network (TCN) is comprised
of the tobacco control program managers and additional staff
from each state, territory, and D.C. This wide representation
allows the Network to access a wealth of expertise and experience
from across the country.
Formed in 1994, the Network’s primary function was
to facilitate information sharing between the NCI-funded ASSIST
Program, the CDC-funded IMPACT program and other national
partners. With the creation of the National Tobacco Control
Program in 1999, in which CDC provided funding to all state
health departments for tobacco control programs, the Network
reorganized with a focus on raising the primacy of tobacco
control in all state health agencies and fostering collaboration
and communication among state programs.
The Network activities are led by officers elected at the TCN Annual Meeting. The current officers are:
- Chair: Miranda Spitznagle – Indiana State Department of Health
- Chair-Elect: Barry Sharp – Texas Department of State Health Services
- Immediate Past Chair: Karen Girard – Oregon Health Authority
- Policy Chair: April Roeseler – California Department of Public Health
- Secretary/Treasurer: Tracey Strader – Oklahoma Tobacco Settlement
- Funders Alliance Representative: Andrea Mowery – ClearWay Minnesota
What can TCN do for you?
The Tobacco Control Network (TCN) gives you an opportunity
- NETWORK with your colleagues, learn
about national happenings, and share policy and programming
strategies. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
- HAVE A VOICE with the National Tobacco
Control Program and with other national tobacco control
organizations. The Network often serves as an advisor to
CDC on National Tobacco Control Program issues and as a
resource for national partners (e.g. The Legacy Foundation,
The Tobacco Technical Assistance Consortium and The Campaign
for Tobacco Free Kids), on state needs and perspectives.
- KEEP INFORMED with tools like a newsletter,
listserv, and website.
Click here for a video overview of the TCN and its key functions.
Please direct questions regarding the Tobacco Control Network